22 Oct Fat freezing – What you need to know
Fat freezing – What you need to know
By Island Hospital | Oct 22, 2019 6:06:52 PM
Frustrated over stubborn fats that just won’t go away despite exercising regularly and eating healthily? Worried about flabby fats bulging out of your newly bought clothes? If you answered yes to these questions, then fat freezing may be the solution for you.
Fat freezing is a non-surgical procedure that helps to get rid of excess fats by freezing a significant portion of the patient’s subcutaneous fat layer without damaging surrounding tissue or nerve regions.
Using a hand-held applicator equipped with a suction cup, cooling energy is applied on the skin of the targeted region, where it crystalises fat deposits which will gradually die off and be metabolised during and after the treatment within a period of 6 to 12 weeks.
- The thickness of the treatment area(s) will be measured
- The treatment area(s) will be marked out for the procedure
- A matrix gel pad is placed on the treatment area(s) to protect the skin
- The applicator will be placed on the treatment areas
- The entire procedure takes around 40-60 minutes to be completed
- The treatment areas will be massaged after the procedure to reduce its hardening effect
When the applicator is being placed, patients might feel intense tugging on the skin of the treated area(s) as it is being sucked into a vacuum. As the treatment continues, patients will experience a stinging sensation during the first 10 minutes which will eventually become cold and numb.
Once the treatment is completed, the treated area(s) will feel cold and hard. It will be immediately massaged to reduce the hardened effect.
There are several areas that are treatable with fat freezing such as:
- Waist and flanks (love handles, saddlebags)
- Upper and lower back
- Inner and outer thighs
- Who may be a good candidate for fat freezing?
Fat freezing is suitable for both men and women. The best candidates are those who are generally in good shape but slightly overweight, or individuals who exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet but still has stubborn fat residing at certain body parts.
- What are the benefits of fat freezing?
There are some benefits of undergoing a fat freezing procedure such as:
- No hospital stay required
- Two areas can be treated simultaneously with dual handpieces
- 25% fat reduction per session
- Are there any side effects/risks involved?
While most patients are able to resume daily routines immediately after the treatment, possible side effects such as redness, slight swelling, tingling sensation, bruising or aching at treated areas may occur. However, these are normal and often subside within 1-2 weeks.
- Can I undergo more than one session?
It all depends on the thickness of the area(s) to be treated. For most people, one session is more than enough. However, areas with more bulk may require 2-3 sessions. Check with our doctor if you are suitable to have multiple sessions.
- When will I be able to see the results?
It takes around 4-12 weeks for the results to be seen after the procedure. You are encouraged to exercise regularly and eat healthily to maintain the results. However, it must be stated that fat freezing is not meant to be a weight loss programme, but to merely contour the body shape to make you look better. It also does not treat obesity nor designed to replace the benefits of a proper diet and exercise.